So here I am

Irritated that a freshman chose not to complete the 3 question quiz I gave on the book I am reading out loud.


I am trying to understand the rationale behind such a choice, and I know that I need to be patient and supportive with these "fragile" kiddos, but I can't help questioning where students learn to just give up and NOT EVEN TRY. Why this is an acceptable practice, why, when one of the questions was an OPINION question about the future of the book, the student left it blank and said "I don't know any of these."

It isn't in me to just give up. Even when things are pretty bleak (like not having enough money to take public transportation to get to work in Chicago--so I sold CDs for $2), I try not to give up. It is frustrating, and hard, and exhausting, but the alternative is just not appealing. Where did this come from?

I am just glad I have it, and thankful for my parents for fostering it in me.

0 comments: