Learning...

I want to be a coach. I want to be a GREAT coach.
I want to help the women I coach grow into amazing people.
I want to help recruit for them, and make those calls to colleges to help my athletes out & gain exposure that they deserve.
I want to get my athletes as much playing experience pre-conference & during conference play that I can, I have no qualms about spending my saturdays with the team so they have a chance to learn and develop more.
I am lucky that I have no ties and no commitments at this moment, and when that changes, then I will make an adjustment to what responsibilities I take on.
I am probably going to be a yeller when it comes down to it...One of the dads chatted with me in-between matches and said that most of the parents in attendance would be totally great with Coach yelling at the girls...But, even in this short time with her--that just isn't her style. She is positive, calm, collected, and even-tempered. I heard her raise her voice only one time (yesterday), but that could potentially change once the season gets going... I just know how intense I am (and it isn't even my team!), and I know that my passion can't be smothered...I would like to develop my style in Coach's manner though--she is unbelievably awesome!
I love this experience, and this opportunity to learn what kind of a coach I am going to be.
I know that I have extremely high expectations--especially when I see SO much talent in one group! It doesn't happen very often where SO much potential all comes together at once, and seeing the women not hungry for the best of the best is frustrating, but I know that they have to want it--me wanting it for them (or Coach wanting it for them) isn't enough. We can't play for them/do things for them...they have to learn and want and do for themselves. I feel so much smarter every day I get to learn/observe/partake in this whole experience! How lucky am I? :)

0 comments: